At Barton Clough, pupils in Key Stage Two take part in fortnightly Italian lessons taught by an Italian specialist. The purpose of these sessions is to provide an opening to other cultures and enable the children to deepen their understanding of the world around them. Pupils take part in engaging lessons where they can express their ideas and thoughts in Italian and respond to speakers both in speech and in writing.
The aims at Barton Clough is to ensure that all pupils:
- Can listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- Explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes
- Engage in conversations, ask and answer questions, express opinions and respond to those of others confidently and independently
- Can speak in sentences using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structure
- Read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- Appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in Italian
- Can describe people, places, things and actions orally and in writing
A lunchtime Italian club also takes place each Wednesday for Year 1 and Year 2. Pupils from Upper Key Stage Two also support these sessions and help to introduce our younger pupils to key words, vocabulary and songs in Italian.
During the Autumn term, we also held a whole school ‘Italian Day’ where pupils came to school dressed in green, white and red, learnt more about Italy and the language in other subject areas throughout the day, had a special Italian themed lunch and sang the Italian version of ‘Baby Shark’ in assembly to end the day. It was a fantastic Italian filled day!
To see our Italian overview, please click here Italian Spring Term 2019-20 Barton Clough