At Barton Clough Primary School we want Design Technology to be an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject for all our pupils to enjoy and be motivated by. Using creativity and imagination we want our pupils to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. Through effective delivery of Design Technology lessons our pupils shall acquire a broad subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art to help develop their skills further. Pupils will learn how to take risks and become resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world.
The Design Technology Curriculum at Barton Clough Primary School is set out to ensure that all pupils:
- develop the creative, technical and practical expertise that is needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook
- will develop a deep understanding of the concepts that run within Primary Design and Technology learning and establish clear connections to learning within other disciplines in school: