Miss E Gilbertson
Miss K Scott
Mrs D Bessassi
Mrs Z Mitchell
Acorn Class Teacher
Welcome to Acorn
Welcome back, Acorn Class!
We are really excited for the new year and our joining with Oak Class to create ‘The Forest’ giving us the chance to make lots of new friends. Our new classrooms look fantastic and we have so much space to learn in the ways that suit us best.
The Forest is made up of:
The Branch: A space to help us with play based learning, large art projects and learning some life skills such as baking as well as addressing some food related sensory difficulties.
The Bough: A quiet space with reduced stimulation to allow us to learn with fewer distractions if needed.
The corridor: This has our library with a comfy sofa to curl up with a book and lots of soft cushions for us to relax while we escape to other worlds in our reading. The space also has a learning area with all the resources of a class based environment and a sensory area which is under development at the moment.
Oak Classroom for our older pupils and Acorn Classroom for our younger pupils although children will move between the two classrooms and work with adults in both rooms depending on their learning needs.
On Thursdays we are lucky enough to have Mrs Brighouse with us to cover the PPA time allocated to Mrs Mitchell and Miss Donoghue. Mrs Moore will be leading cooking sessions on a 2 week rota and children will also have the opportunity to develop their ICT skills and also to work in our Wild Wood garden.
All our sessions on Fridays will have a physical element to promote fitness for our pupils. The children (and adults) should come to school in their PE kit, with suitable footwear and wither shorts or jogging bottoms depending on the weather.
This will be sent out on Fridays and should be returned on Wednesdays to allow adults the time to review it and set the following week’s work. Children will receive an additional reward token for bringing their homework in on time.
We also expect children to read every night and parents to comment on this in their reading record. If parents would like any support on how best to do this, please let me know.
We look forwards to a fabulous year ahead.
- https://ttrockstars.com/ (Rock out with TT Rock Stars Multiplication revision)
- https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button (a great way to practise multiplication recall)
- https://www.facebook.com/miskin.education/videos/information-for-parents-how-to-say-the-sounds/1279116425534130/ (how to say the different sounds learned in phonics)
- https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/ (free online books with the same book bands as we use in school)
- https://readingeggs.co.uk (a reading scheme with a subscription that is exciting for children)
- https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/resources (Phonics games to make learning to read fun)
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/genres/learning/primary/all (A variety of learning programmes for children)
See all our latest activities in our Acorn class Twitter feed below. Follow us @BartonCloughAC